A little while ago, I had the opportunity to interview one of the best operators in the US, Gui Jaroschy. Gui operates the Broken Shaker, which won Best Hotel Bar at the 2015 Spirited Awards and is ranked in the top 20 of the world’s best cocktail bars.
Gui sat down with me for this hour long podcast where we discuss:
- How Gui got started in the industry
- How he built a world class culture for the Broken Shaker & Freehand 27
- The key elements that made the Broken Shaker a financial success
…and much more.
Check it out here:
If you only have 5 minutes, you’ll want to learn how Gui describes hospitality to his staff and coaches them to bring it to life in his business.
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did!
Selected Links from the Episode:
- Lessons in Excellence by Charlie Trotter
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and Janet Mills
- Psycho Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
- Gui’s background in the industry (00:55)
- What does the title “cultural director” mean? (02:00)
- How the Gui develops a world class culture for the Broken Shaker & Freehand 27 (02:38)
- What sort of things does the Broken Shaker do that contributes to its world class culture? (03:29)
- How did the Broken Shaker and 27 come together? (04:34)
- What is the working dynamic like with the team? (06:29)
- Key things that made the Broken Shaker a financial success (12:50)
- Creating a brand that helps you find the right customers (15:32)
- Gui’s Mentors in the industry (19:00)
- Who does Gui look up to in the industry? (22:25)
- Book recommendations? (25:30)
- How do you keep yourself healthy mentally and physically? (29:08)
- Staying hands on in the business (33:20)
- Developing a world class cocktail list (37:12)
- Gui’s favorite drink (44:34)
- Favorite bars (45:30)
- Trends in Miami (47:05)
- How describe hospitality and bring it to life inside your business? (48:33)
- How do you train younger staff to deliver remarkable hospitality? (49:37)
- The difference between a good bar and a great bar. (54:30)