This week I continue my tour of some of the greatest bars and bar leaders in the business.
Cocktails, playlists and furniture are commodities. You have got to get them right but a remarkable experience is only possible when you have remarkable people.
I get to meet a lot of people that add a ton of value. Dave Fernie, of the 213 Group has a multiplying effect on his business. A contagious attitude, a thirst for knowledge and a desire to deliver true hospitality to his guests (and teammates).
Dave really does it all; he is an unbelievable bartender (bordering on mad scientist), a great DJ and one of those people that can connect with any guest and elevate an experience. A true triple threat!
I hope you enjoy spending some time with him as much as I do.
Selected Links from the Episode:
- The One Minute Manager – Ken Blanchard
- Kitchen Confidential – Anthony Bourdain
- The Savoy Cocktail Book – Harry Craddock
- The Nomad Hotel
- Ivy Mix
- Music recommendation: Poolside , Mojito Boyz
- Bars to visit in LA: Harvard & Stone, The Dresden, Dan Sung Sa
- Dave Fernie’s background in the industry (00:44)
- How do you balance the increase of responsibilities with doing what you love in the industry? (10:00)
- Fernie’s mentors in the industry. (11:48)
- What’s one thing that impressed you about working for Cedd Moses? (13:00)
- What advice would you give to your 23 year old self? (14:35)
- What are some of your morning routines? (15:47)
- Book recommendations (16:51)
- How do you define hospitality? (18:32)
- How do you on board new staff? (20:18)
- Who do you look up to in the industry? (21:31)
- Favorite drink and song? (22:46)
- 3 bars to visit in LA (23:25)
- Trends in the industry (24:33)
- Fernie’s DJ career (25:29)