Today, you are competing with smart people who work hard. Those are simply the table stakes in the world of business. Your success will be determined by your ability to communicate with your coworkers, prospects, and/or customers.
Communication was the multiplying factor in the careers of the likes of Richard Branson, Steve Jobs, and Oprah Winfrey. You don’t need to be born with this skill if you are willing to adopt proven techniques and practice them.
The Big 5
- Email – The best AND worst tool. Cheap and quick, BUT also open to wild interpretations. Email is my least favorite option when it matters most.
- Phone – A dying art. Getting to the point quickly and politely is key. A two-minute phone call can often accomplish more than a 2,000 word email.
- Broadcast – Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, blogs, etc. are all great forms of leverage. However, far too many people leave a permanent trail of every random thought that crosses their mind…which might not always be wise.
- One-on-One Meetings – Those who show up well-prepared with positive energy rule this space.
- Public Speaking – I can produce more leads in a 1-hour talk on stage than I could working a tradeshow booth for 3 days. Get over the fear, sign up for Toastmasters and share your knowledge.
Have a great week!
PS: See me speak at Tales of the Cocktail on Wednesday, July 25!
Click the banner on the right for more details.